Search This Blog

Thursday, January 6, 2011

I love January!

   Ok... I know this is probably weird, but I love Mondays, Januarys, and a new year. The weather in Arizona could not be greater, I forced myself to throw the rest of the cheese ball and fudge away (just wiped the last tear also) and I'm finishing some projects that are long overdue. Each January, I run to Franklin-Covey and buy my little pocket monthly calendar; not the whole planner thing, mind you, just those pages. Of course, the entire store was 30% off... except those little pages. Whatever....
    I love to watch my husband teeter on the ladder as he shoves the last Christmas box through the slightly larger opening in the attic. (This is our long-standing battle every year... "Why can't we have steps installed? You are too old to be up on that ladder with those huge boxes! Watch out! You are going to kill yourself! Don't wrench your shoulder again! blah, blah....It would be a simple thing to install steps, but my husband still thinks he's 27, and will do 27 year old things until he ends up in traction. It's very romantic and part of our holiday tradition.)

    Yesterday we resumed our American History study. Gotta tell you that there are a lot of die-hard, smart patriots attending. We actually combined the two classes and are just doing the Wednesday morning class. We studied the "Reconstruction Era" this week. What a great discussion! I love you guys! I have learned a ton from all of you, as well as Larry Schweikart and Michael Allen. We talked about the "14th Amendment" written in 1866 which states that a baby born on U.S. soil is an automatic citizen. This was to ensure citizenship to the freed blacks. Wow! Has that law been twisted and misconstrued?
     Today a few of us attended the Mesa Republican Women meeting and listened to Russell Pearce and Kirk Adams discuss this law in conjunction with the SB1070 and "anchor baby" mess that Arizona is dealing with today. Honestly, I was very encouraged. They seem to believe that the courts will side with AZ and change the meaning of the 14th Amendment to its original meaning and stop handing out free stuff to every person who crosses the border to have babies and raise them on the backs of hard-working Americans.
     But I digress... for you who couldn't make it yesterday, Lon, Shirley, Carrie, Carol, Son Hee, etc... we really missed you and hope you can make it next week as we talk about "Lighting out for the Territories!"  See you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment