Search This Blog

Monday, September 13, 2010

Puritans, Pilgrims and Plantations

   Like many other teenage zombies in the 70's, high school history was merely a murky gelantinous glob of names and dates to me. I never got excited about school until I stepped into my English class with dreamy Coach Myers; whose wealth of knowledge inspired me to major in English...Or something like that.  Consequently, names like Nathaniel Bacon, Lord Baltimore, Oliver Cromwell, Bobby Sherman... didn't have a lot of meaning to me. Well, Bobby Sherman did.  His hit singles were imprinted on our cereal boxes. Way cool.
    The early colonies suffered many serious growing pains. Though they came to America in search of religious toleration, they settled in their own little communities and were....well.... intolerant! Incidently, the statement "...separation of church and state..." originally meant freedom to worship not freedom from worship." Our progressive friends throughout history have managed to screw that definition up big time. Sometimes I think I can hear Jonathan Edwards rolling around crying in his grave, "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God!" I'm jumping the gun though. We'll meet Jon in the next chapter. The following references explain the rest of the early colonies, the civil war in England, other important facts that set the stage for the greatest documents to ever be written under the inspiration of a loving God. Stay tuned...
     I seriously wasn't a big Bobby Sherman fan; more like a "Three Dog Night" fan. Beth and I met them one night. Totally groovy, man. I'll tell you about it sometime... General William Tecumseh Sherman, on the other hand.... was he a Bobby fan?

Massachusetts Bay Colony
Connecticut
Roger Williams and Rhode Island
English Civil War
Hudson River
New Netherlands
New Sweden
Maryland and later Virginia
Religious freedom

No comments:

Post a Comment